The Wallawwa, near Colombo
Despite it being a 15-minute taxi ride from Sri Lanka’s main international airport, The Wallawwa is anything but a traditional airport hotel. Set in five acres of 200-year-old manicured tropical gardens, this chic boutique bolthole is easily accessible – from Colombo, Negombo, Galle and Kandy – yet entirely secluded.
Set in an exquisitely renovated colonial manor house – occupied at one time by the Royal Air Force during World War II – this celebrated hotel is home to 18 beautifully appointed rooms and suites, a garden-wrapped Indian-tiled swimming pool, a library, a decadent spa, a fruit and vegetable garden and a top-rate restaurant.
Staffing is first class and teams of butlers tend to guests in the traditional way, whether proffering lemon sorbet refreshers to guests around the pool, hosting local experiences or serving up exquisite pan-Asian and international meals.
Although The Wallawwa is ideal for anyone looking to recuperate before or after their flight, or as an alternative to the inner-city hotels of Colombo, this chic hotel’s Secret Garden-like seclusion and tranquility merit a much longer stay. Its magical setting also makes The Wallawwa an idyllic tropical wedding venue.
- 18 a/c bedrooms & suites
- BB/HB rates
- Free WiFi
- TVs in rooms
- Full spa facilities
- Wedding venue
- Restaurant & bar
- Near Colombo airport
- Relax on Negombo Beach or take a chef-guided tour of the town’s colourful fish market
- Day trip to Colombo for shopping, dining and sightseeing tours
- Soak up the scenery on a boat trip through the Muthurajawela Wetlands
- Visit a cigar factory, and see how tobacco leaf wrappers are produced
- Head to the serene 36-acre Gampaha Henarathgoda Botanical Gardens
- Explore some of the 99 caves of the Pilikuttawa Rajamaha Temple
- Wash, ride and learn about elephants on a visit to a local sanctuary
- Take a guided tour of Colombo’s prominent city attractions
- The Wallawwa is 9km from Colombo International Airport
- Distance to Colombo is 30km
- Distance to Negombo is 14km