The Last House, Mawella, near Tangalle
The Last House opens directly onto a secluded beach on Sri Lanka’s south coast and promises to be a superb seaside escape for families and groups. Designed by Geoffrey Bawa, this convivial two-storey villa offers five ensuite bedrooms – each opening onto gardens, balconies and sea views – as well as a courtyard swimming pool and a grassy lawn for playing cricket, volleyball and badminton.
This stylish villa comprises two interconnecting buildings with two bedrooms on an upper floor and a further three on the ground floor along with open plan living and dining areas and a fully equipped tropical kitchen. The villa is fully staffed and the chef serves up some of the region’s best Asian-fusion cuisine.
With the beach on your doorstep and national parks within reach, this is a fabulous villa for families seeking both adventure and tranquility. The house and gardens can also host intimate weddings and special events for up to 25 guests.
Rooms in the villa may be booked individually. Please see here for more details.
- 5 air-conditioned guest rooms
- Sleeps up to 14 guests
- Set on a striking 2km-wide sandy bay
- Courtyard swimming pool
- Surf boards, volleyball, cricket & croquet
- Books & indoor games
- Peaceful & secluded
- Stroll or jog Mawella’s two kilometre expanse of sandy beach
- Borrow a board for surfing or body boarding in the Indian Ocean
- Visit Mulgirigala, a sacred Buddhist site with ancient cave temples and
superb panoramic views
- Visit Tangalle’s buzzy fish market and harbour’
- Explore local villages and the wildlife-filled surroundings by bicycle
- Play volleyball, badminton or croquet, or challenge the staff to a game of
- Seek out wildlife on a day safari to Udawalawe or Yala national parks
- Take a half-day trip to Mirissa for whale/dolphin watching (seasonal)
- The Last House is 7km from Tangalle
- The nearest train station is at Matara, 30km distant
- The nearest Air Taxi landing spot is at Mawella Lagoon, 2km away
- Distance to Colombo is 183km
- Distance to Colombo’s international airport is 218km