Fort Bazaar, Fort, Galle
Galle Fort, a 17th century UNESCO World Heritage Site on Sri Lanka’s southern coast, welcomed its newest boutique hotel, Fort Bazaar, in January 2016. Set amidst ageing coral walls on historic Church Street – an atmospheric central thoroughfare – this stunning hotel is home to 18 stylish rooms and suites, all with ensuite bathrooms, a buzzy restaurant and bar, a library, cinema and a spa.
Fort Bazaar is fresh and contemporary, and its chic understated interiors feel distinctly Middle Eastern, as does its fabulous cuisine, both of which richly reflect the fort’s Moorish history. The hotel’s 15 ‘Bazaar’ and ‘Banyan’ bedrooms open onto a central courtyard flanked by cushioned alfresco seating and the three incredibly spacious ‘Upper Suites’ boast balconies with views over the fort’s red-tiled rooftops.
Fort Bazaar also entices Galle Fort day-trippers with the promise of vibrant cocktails and a gourmet restaurant overseen by Executive Chef Neal Giles. The hotel is ideally located for visiting Galle Fort’s sights and attractions, as well as Galle’s famed international test cricket ground and the region’s sandy beaches.
Please Note : At present, the swimming pool isn’t open but free access is provided to the pool of a nearby hotel, 10 minutes away, along with complementary transfers by tuk tuk.
- 18 a/c rooms & suites
- BB/HB rates
- 15-metre swimming pool (opening soon)
- Luxurious ‘Z Spa’
- Middle Eastern vibe
- Exceptional cuisine
- Library & cinema
- Central Galle Fort location
- Relax with a massage or beauty treatment at the hotel’s ‘Z Spa’
- Tour Galle Fort’s atmospheric streets seeking out historic sights
- Make for one of Galle’s many picturesque beaches for a surf or a swim
- Take a guided bicycle ride through Galle’s rural hinterland
- Visit a lowland tea factory for tasting sessions and tours
- Embark on coastal cruises and/or whale/dolphin watching (seasonal)
- Watch a cricket match at Galle’s iconic test ground, 200-metres away
- Shop Galle Fort’s many boutiques – ask us for recommendations
- Fort Bazaar is 0.5km from Galle town
- The air taxi landing spot is 15km away in Koggala
- Distance to Colombo is 131km (via the Southern Expressway)
- Distance to the Bandaranaike International Airport is 157km