Nine Skies, Demodera, Ella
Perched high above historic Demodera Railway Station, just 15-minutes from Ella, Nine Skies is dramatically positioned for surveying Sri Lanka’s tea-clad hills. Dating back over a century, this former tea estate manager’s bungalow has been extensively renovated into an indulgent five-bedroom boutique hotel. Oozing historic charm and atmosphere, the contemporary furnishings bring the interiors firmly up to date.
The five guestrooms are luxurious and inviting, and each has a private terrace with direct garden access and a bathroom with a warm soaking tub. Butlers tend to guests in the traditional way, pampering them with fine gourmet cuisine, chilled drinks and high-grown afternoon tea. From the front terrace, guests sit out and admire the panoramic view of verdant hills beyond the hotel’s lush lawn and infinity pool or peeping down into the valley below to search for trains.
The villa’s location is a treat for railway enthusiasts who can arrive at nearby Demodera Railway Station, famed for its 360-degree sub-station loop, and visit the famous Nine Arches Bridge viaduct. The area is also super for getting out and about as there are a number of landmark hikes, waterfalls and viewpoints in close proximity, and the team can organise scenic picnics.
A team of butlers attend to guests and the hotel promises the same high levels of service and comfort as at sister hotels The Wallawwa, Fort Bazaar, Goatfell, Kumu Beach and Camellia Hills. Food is a combination of modern Sri Lankan and international fusion dishes, and all meals and drinks are included in the overnight rate.
- 5 guestrooms with ensuite bathrooms
- All-inclusive rates
- Spectacular tea estate & mountain views
- 13m infinity swimming pool
- Cosy lounge & open terrace
- Lush garden edged by tea bushes
- International cuisine & picturesque dining
- A 15-minute drive from Ella
- Sit out on the terrace and sip Ceylon tea whilst taking in the panoramic views
- Have a swim in the infinity swimming pool, drinking in the mountain vistas
- Explore the surrounding tea estate and enjoy a picnic at a scenic viewpoint
- Learn about the tea production process on a hosted visit to a local tea factory
- Visit Nine Arches Viaduct and see Demodera Station’s 360-degree loop of track
- Enjoy local walks in/around Ella such as up Little Adam’s Peak and Ella Rock
- See Ella from a bird’s eye perspective by whizzing down a 500-metre zipline
- Travel onwards by train from Demodera to sister hotel Goatfell near Nuwara Eliya
- The hotel is located in Demodera
- Ella is a 15-minute drive away
- Demodera Railway Station is less than 1km away
- Distance to Colombo is 205km
- Distance to the Bandaranaike International Airport is 233km