Leela Walauwwa, Induruwa
For those looking for a private, secluded villa in Sri Lanka, Leela Walauwwa is one of Sri Lanka’s best. Located five-minutes’ inland from west coast Induruwa Beach and just 10-minutes’ drive from Bentota, the villa offers the best of both worlds – a serene place to relax in complete privacy (the tropical gardens extend to one acre) and very easy access to pristine beaches, water sports, restaurants and exotic gardens.
The villa, carved out of an antique manor house, dates back to the colonial era though its sensitively upgraded interiors have a luxurious and contemporary feel. Living and dining areas open to the garden, and the four bedrooms are accessed off elegantly colonnaded veranda walkways. On the walls are a collection of colonial-themed photographs and paintings that evoke the history of the villa. In total, Leela Walauwwa sleeps up to nine guests, which makes it ideal for families and groups.
Managed by Taru Villas, the villa is staffed by a small, indulgent team, headed up by a Villa Guardian and an experienced private chef. High-end service and innovative curated dining are two benchmarks of the Taru Villas brand.
When guests are ready to explore, they’ll find plenty to do on their doorstep. Induruwa’s golden beach is five-minutes’ drive away, and the villa offers free tuk tuks to their sister-hotels in Bentota, and another lovely long sandy beach. Other local activities include visiting a sea turtle conservation project in Kosgoda, cycling through rural countryside in search of ancient temples, touring Lunuganga garden – Geoffrey Bawa’s former home – and sunrise boating on neighbouring Dedduwa Lake.
- 4 a/c suites with ensuite bathrooms
- Sleeps a maximum of 9 guests (with one extra bed)
- Secluded luxury private villa with home from home vibe
- Private courtyard swimming pool with relaxing gazebo
- Open plan, open-sided living & dining areas
- Fully staffed, including experienced in-house chef
- Exceptional food & curated dining on request
- Five minutes drive to the beach (and 10 minutes to Bentota)
- Spend your day relaxing in complete privacy beside the pool
- Enjoy an indulgent massage within your private villa upon request
- Head to Induruwa or Bentota for long walks and Indian Ocean swims
- Visit the mass nesting sites of sea turtles at a local conservation initiative
- Enjoy a variety of water sports including jet skiing at Bentota
- Visit Lunuganga and Brief, each an exotic estate and garden
- Explore Bentota’s picturesque interior on a guided bicycle adventure
- Enjoy a sunrise boat trip on the Dedduwa Lake, near Lunuganga
- The hotel is located in Induruwa, 10 minutes’ drive from Bentota
- The nearest train station is Induruwa, 2.5km
- The air taxi landing spot is 6.5km away in Bentota
- Nearest town, Bentota, is 6.5km away or a 10-minute drive
- Distance to Colombo is 70km or 1.5-hours (via the Southern Expressway)
- Distance to the Bandaranaike International Airport is 115km or 1-hour, 45 minutes’ drive (via the Southern Expressway)