The Kandy House, near Kandy
Formerly the home of an aristocratic Sri Lankan family, The Kandy House is a magnificent manor house turned boutique hotel with nine individually designed rooms. Located in Kandy’s tranquil outskirts, the hotel rests within exotic gardens home to an idyllic jungle swimming pool.
The hotel’s architecture is stunning; the chic interiors and one-of-a-kind antiques perfectly complement the elegant arches, pillared verandas, hardwood floors and central courtyard. Rooms feature four-poster beds, garden views and contemporary bathrooms yet are blissfully devoid of TVs and phones.
Guests tuck into Asian fusion cuisine and Sri Lankan curries on the rear veranda, which overlooks an emerald lawn shaded by tall creeper-draped trees teeming with butterflies and birds. Visible beyond the lawn is the jungle pool and an ambalama, which overlook a serene paddy valley.
The hotel offers Ayurvedic massages and private yoga sessions, and although Kandy’s sights may be reached in 20 minutes, there is plenty to do in the local area, from rural bicycle rides to strolls to the village’s ancient muralled temple.
- 9 bedrooms
- BB / HB / FB rates
- Fusion cuisine
- Free WiFi
- Massages & yoga
- Jungle swimming pool
- Peaceful & secluded
- 20 minutes from Kandy
- Meet with a local artist, soaking up the tranquillity of his home and studio
- Borrow a bicycle from the hotel and explore your rural surroundings
- Walk to Degaldoruwa Cave Temple, home to vivid 18th century murals
- Visit Kandy’s Temple of the Tooth, Trinity College Chapel, British Garrison Cemetery and the handful of sacred devales that scatter the city
- Stroll through wooded avenues at the Udawattakelle Sanctuary or explore Peradeniya’s more orderly Royal Botanical Gardens
- Watch an early evening Sri Lankan cultural show in Kandy
- Play golf at the Victoria Golf & Country Resort, a 30-minute drive away
- Trek the Knuckles Range, a dedicated conservation area rich in wildlife
- The Kandy House is 8km from Kandy
- The nearest train station is in Kandy, 9km distant
- The nearest Air Taxi landing spot is at Polgolla Lake, 5km away
- Distance to Colombo is 140km
- Distance to Colombo’s international airport is 125km