Kahanda Kanda, Koggala Lake, near Galle
This award-winning boutique hotel – sister to KK Beach – sits on a hilltop amidst 12 acres of a lush, mature tea estate, 20 minutes from Galle. Striking 360-degree views unfold across velveteen lawns, tea bushes, tropical gardens and koi carp ponds towards lush jungle and distant Koggala Lake.
The hotel’s 12 indulgent suites – most of which stand alone – bask in spaciousness and style, and offer plenty of indoor and outdoor space. Each is individually furnished with an eclectic blend of antiques and contemporary pieces handpicked by the owner, British interior design guru, George Cooper. Seven villas come with private gardens and plunge pools including Dubu, the hotel’s Honeymoon Villa, ornately styled as a Javanese joglo house.
Ensuring guests make the most of their stay is a dedicated staff team, serving five-star service with discretion and grace. The internationally trained chefs create fusion dishes and Sri Lankan curries for savouring in the dining pavilion, the terrace of your suite or anywhere else on the lush estate.
The hotel’s private, tropical ambience invites relaxation; read that longed-for book, swim in the infinity pool, have a massage, work out in the gym or practice yoga. No children under 12 are allowed to stay, which endears the hotel to serenity-seeking honeymooners and couples. Kahanda Kanda is also one of the island’s most exceptional wedding venues.
- 12 a/c villas & suites
- 7 freestanding villas with pools (includes 1 huge honeymoon villa)
- BB rates
- No kids under 12
- Spectacular wedding venue
- Cookery classes
- Tea estate setting
- Free transport to KK Beach
- Learn how to cook Sri Lankan dishes with the hotel’s chefs
- Wander the estate, or visit a lowland tea factory for tours
- Take a Koggala Lake boat trip, visiting temples and spice islands
- Explore the narrow atmospheric streets of historic Galle Fort
- Take a guided bicycle ride through Galle’s rural hinterland
- Make for the beach and relax on an idyllic stretch of sand
- Embark on coastal cruises or whale/dolphin watching (seasonal)
- Visit the picturesque aquatic reserve of the Hiyare Rainforest