Beach & Bawa
12 days/11 nights
Geoffrey Bawa is synonymous with Sri Lanka, and a journey that incorporates his magical estate and garden, as well as glimpses at some of the properties he designed, adds interest to a tour, particularly for architecturally minded guests. This trip starts at the newly refurbished The Villa Bentota, near Bentota, a 15-room boutique hotel designed many years ago by Geoffrey Bawa OR at Lunuganga, Bawa’s former country estate. At Lunuganga, guests can stay overnight and enjoy a hosted garden tour, and experience lunch, afternoon tea and dinner amidst these hallowed grounds. Brief, the smaller yet equally interesting estate designed by Bawa’s brother Bevis, is also located within easy reach of both hotels.
Next, your clients will travel south to Fort Bazaar, a contemporary hotel in the heart of historic Galle Fort. Guests staying here are welcome to use the swimming pool at Jetwing Lighthouse hotel, which is a significant property designed by Geoffrey Bawa in the early nineties. The last stop on the journey is The Last House near Tangalle. This beach house was designed by Bawa as his architectural swansong, and his Tropical Modernist ideals are everywhere.
For the last two nights (optional), your clients could stay at Wallawwa, near Colombo. From here, they could visit Number 11, Bawa’s former Colombo townhouse (now a museum) – a fascinating series of four interconnected terraced houses acquired and merged over time.
- Learning about the inspirational life’s work of the late architect Geoffrey Bawa
- Staying and visiting properties designed by Bawa including Lunuganga, his former country estate
- Wandering the streets of Galle Fort on a hosted walk and staying in the heart of this atmospheric old town
- Spending time on secluded Mawella Beach whilst staying at a boutique villa designed by Bawa
- Visiting Number 11, Bawa’s former townhouse in Colombo in the final few days
Days 1, 2 & 3: The Villa Bentota, Bentota OR Lunuganga, near Bentota
Days 4 & 5: Fort Bazaar, Galle Fort
Days 6, 7, 8 & 9: The Last House, Mawella, near Tangalle
Days 10 & 11: Wallawwa, Kotugoda, near Colombo & Colombo Airport