Goatfell, Kandapola, Nuwara Eliya
High up in the misty hills of Kandapola to the north east of Nuwara Eliya lies Goatfell, an extensively refurbished century-old former tea manager’s bungalow. Surrounded by the lush tea bushes of the Concordia Estate, this four-bedroom bungalow hotel opens onto a garden with infinity pool – the east-facing panorama of hills and distant Ragala town that reveals itself is one of Sri Lanka’s most epic. Interiors are contemporary and chic yet still resonate hill country charm.
Goatfell has three highly individual double bedrooms on each corner of the bungalow, benefitting from garden and tea country vistas. A fourth twin bedroom sits opposite one double and when booked together the two can be combined to form a family suite. Each guestroom has a private furnished terrace with direct garden access and an ensuite bathroom with a tub for warm soaks.
Most dine on the open-to-the-garden terrace, sampling Sri Lankan dishes and international fare, while an open hearth in the lounge sets the scene for convivial evenings. A team of butlers attend to guests and the hotel promises the same high levels of service and comfort as at sister hotels The Wallawwa, Fort Bazaar, Nine Skies, Kumu Beach and Camellia Hills.
The bungalow sits at an elevation of some 2,000-metres above sea level and the climate in Kandapola is warm during the day yet cooler at night, and ideal for long walks. Activities include hikes through tea bushes, to scenic viewpoints and picnic spots, and informative tea factory tours.
- 4 guestrooms with ensuite bathrooms
- All-inclusive rates
- Spectacular tea estate & mountain views
- Infinity swimming pool
- Cosy lounge & open terrace
- Lush garden edged by tea bushes
- International cuisine & picturesque dining
- A 30-minute drive from Nuwara Eliya
- Sit on the terrace and sip Ceylon tea whilst taking in the panoramic views
- Have a swim in the cool infinity swimming pool, drinking in the mountain vistas
- Explore the surrounding tea estate and enjoy a picnic at a scenic viewpoint
- Learn about the tea production process on a hosted visit to a local tea factory
- Tour the quirky colonial sights of Nuwara Eliya, a former British hill station
- Day trip to Horton Plains, high altitude grasslands offering superb walking
- Hike up to the top of lichen-clad Totugala Kanda, Sri Lanka’s third highest peak
- Travel onwards by train from Nanu Oya to sister hotel Nine Skies in Demodara
- The hotel is located near Kandapola
- Nuwara Eliya is a 30-minute drive away
- The nearest train station is Nanu Oya, 20km distant
- Distance to Colombo is 170km
- Distance to the Bandaranaike International Airport is 166km