Claughton House, Dickwella
Claughton House is a unique five-bedroom villa located on a headland at the western end of a wide sandy bay near Dickwella. Designed by Sri Lanka’s legendary architect – the late Geoffrey Bawa – this recently upgraded villa has superb sea views and many places for enjoying them; including a double height lounge, garden lookouts and a pool terrace located at the very edge of the hillside.
Privacy and abundant space are guaranteed at this villa, and the gardens feature an expansive lawn that descends down towards the beach. The bedrooms are light and airy, although one of these doubles up as an air conditioned TV lounge and games room (with table tennis table). The villa also has a well-equipped kitchen and down beside the pool is a pavilion with barbecue facilities.
The villa is staffed by an efficient team including cook, and backed up by an on-call management company who can assist with local transport and tours.
- 5 a/c bedrooms with ensuite bathrooms
- Sleeps 8 adults + 3 children
- Fully staffed with cook
- Satellite TV/WiFi
- Spectacular ocean views
- 30 minutes from Tangalle
- 5km from Hiriketiya’s surf break
- Stroll the beach or surf in the wide sandy bay below the villa
- Play a round of tennis in the grounds of a hotel nearby
- Visit Mulgirigala, a sacred Buddhist site inland from Tangalle
- Travel to Rekawa to observe nesting marine turtles at night
- Head into the nearby city of Matara to explore the two Dutch forts
- Embark on coastal cruises or whale/dolphin watching (seasonal)
- Seek out wildlife on a day safari to Udawalawe or Yala national parks
- Take a half day trip to Galle; explore the fort on foot or shop and dine
- Claughton House is 13km from Tangalle
- The nearest train station is at Matara, 25km distant
- The nearest Air Taxi landing spot is at Mawella Lagoon, 3.5km away
- Distance to Colombo is 183km
- Distance to Colombo’s international airport is 206km