Kumu Beach, Balapitiya
Occupying an elevated, elongated strip of land overlooking boulder-scattered Balapitiya Beach, this contemporary 10-room west coast boutique hotel benefits from fabulous Indian Ocean panoramas. Whether wining, dining, swimming, sunbathing or gazing out of the bedroom window from bed, expect to drink in views of an indigo sea and swaying coconut palms. The hotel’s stylish design is largely symmetrical, and it opens onto a large grassy garden with 23-metre swimming pool and long timber sun deck.
Sister hotel to The Wallawwa, Fort Bazaar, Camellia Hills, Nine Skies and Goatfell, the hotel comprises four Ocean View Suites, four Ocean View Bedrooms and two Kumu Bedrooms. All 10 bedrooms have direct ocean views while the Ocean View Suites and Ocean View Bedrooms also open onto either private balconies or garden terraces. The rooms are spacious with a chic open plan layout, and their neutral colour palette is enhanced by colour splash contemporary batik cushions and vibrant works of modern local art.
Guests feast on international cuisine that champions seafood and local produce, and dine from alfresco tables on the outdoor deck, or indoors, in the bar.
- 10 a/c rooms & suites
- BB/HB rates
- Direct beach access
- 23-metre swimming pool
- International cuisine
- Palm-shaded garden
- Contemporary interior design
- Located between Galle & Bentota
- Wander along Balapitiya beach, a nesting ground for turtles
- Visit the mask museum in Ambalangoda, and have a go crafting your own
- Voyage up the serene Madu Ganga estuary, home to 64 islands
- Make for Galle Fort, and tour atmospheric streets seeking out historic sights
- Visit a serene hilltop Buddhist temple, home to Asia’s longest Buddha statue
- Learn about Sri Lanka’s five species of marine turtle in a local hatchery
- Go windsurfing, jet skiing or fishing from water sports capital, Bentota
- The hotel is 1km south of Balapitiya town
- The nearest train station is Balapitiya, 1km away
- The air taxi landing spot is 18km away in Bentota
- Distance to Colombo is 108km (via the Southern Expressway)
- Distance to the Bandaranaike International Airport is 130km